Saturday, July 12, 2008

Our Amazing Little Pumps

At a recent doctor visit, I got to hear my own heart beat. Granted, due to the underlying cardiomyopathy, it didn’t sound like what I expected, but it was interesting to hear the thing that has occupied so much of my concern for the last two years.

I am coming up on the two year anniversary of my implant and that has me thinking about all the people that have been listening to my heart... and there have been lots! From nurses to doctors to well, more doctors. I wondered what they actually hear. We have all heard heart beats. Can they tell that much from just a quick listen. Really what was the big deal?

After we covered all my questions and any recent info with the doctor, he motioned to the exam table and I hopped up. As he was about to take a listen, I mentioned that I wanted to hear it too. He immediately gave me his stethoscope and helped me position the ear buds and placed the drum to his heart. My first thought was that it sounded just like the heart beat from the Dark Side of the Moon album. Thump thump. Thump thump. Thump thump. Then he placed it to my heart… and there it was… Thump thump swish. Thump thump swish. Thump thump swish. It turns out I really do march to a different beat.

Since then, I keep thinking about my heart beats. Ever second of every day, my heart keeps going. Granted at times it races dangerously fast but so far it has corrected itself. And, just in case it doesn’t some day… I got the ICD standing by. Until then, my thump thump swish goes on.

No comments: